The Roaring Northerners are Dave Stewart, John Hill and Iain Robertson; a loose affiliation of tabletop wargamers and figure painters who inhabit the frozen and somewhat soggy wastelands of west central Scotland. Shadowy and secretive, they stoically quest to reduce the scale of the lead mountain that threatens to engulf them all, and perhaps even find the time for the occasional game...
....This is their story

Sunday 5 January 2014

New Year, Old Photos

Aww yiss, I get first post of 2014 on here!

Happy new year to our readers/ followers/ bemused onlookers, on behalf of Dave, John and myself, and all the best for the coming 12 months...

So, much as on over on my own blog, I'm playing catch up with photos, before moving onto anything new! My holidays finished just before Christmas, so productivity hit the inevitable slump over the festive period, and being nighshift over the Hogmanay week hasn't helped; however, before that I did manage to get the various Cold War elements I was working on finished in time for The Guild's "Friend & Foe" group build, the results of which can be seen here.

I should point out that the following post will be about 47% more entertaining if you play these while reading-

On the British side, the MILAN team from the previous post was joined by a spotter/ command element, both trying to hide behind a tree stump and use a Clansman set with no aerial...







These combined with a platoon Command squad to form the 10 figs on the British side
 


 
While on the Soviet side, the command squad were finished off with an aerial for the radio operator





and were then joined by 6 BMP dismounts




With whom I decided to add a bit of variation with the uniform colours; the rifleman has a much lighter tunic (reminiscent of the "summer issue" Soviet tunic), while the RPK gunner has a much browner shade to his trousers. Which I've helpfully obscured with a tree stump. (With which I must admit I'm very pleased with...)







The next step will be to get another squad done for the Sovs, and a couple of support weapons, so that we might actually be able to have a bash at a game and make it work, beofre moving onto the appropriate transports for all concerned...

With The Guild having announced the 2014 Year Build, I've decided to throw my hat in the ring with 20mm Cold War, 28mm French & Indian War, and 15 & 28mm Mediaevals, as these are the three areas I realy need to get stuff finished in. I'm sure I'll manage to diverge somewhere along the line, but these groupbuilds are a great way of staying focussed and on track with projects that need doing, and thus increasing the chances of actually getting some gaming done!

Slainte, and lang may yer lum reek!
Iain

4 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff again Iain, really looking forward to gaming these.
    Trying hard to get the 28mm last stand of the ninth finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about a sound track for them though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sound track for the cold war theirs an idea! top figure paint jobs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers guys!
    Andy- I find the addition of appropriate music when I'm painting improves productivity greatly!
    Dave- Yeeeer, that's a tough one.....

    ReplyDelete